Wednesday 23 July 2008

Little Egret

An nice surprise yesterday was a Little Egret (Egretta garzetta) feeding around one of the pools on the reserve. This is only the third record for the reserve.

The Little Egret is a member of the Heron family

Little Egrets used to be a rare migrant in Britain but as a result of our milder winters they are now a resident and are breeding in many places.

Here's a video grap from one I filmed previously


There is more information here; http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdguide/name/l/littleegret/

For those interested in tracks, here is the print of a Grey Heron

and here's the Little Egrets

2 comments:

sam said...

I looked on wikipedia and saw they are in the same family as storks - there is a definite family silhouette
for this type of birds even over vastly different sizes.
P.S. I like the new look

Fenlander said...

I think that's the fastest response to a post I've ever had!!!

Thanks very much :>)