Wednesday 9 April 2008

Butterbur

In this previous post http://fenlaners.blogspot.com/2008/03/coltsfoot.html I made a typing error which may have confused people. Referring to Butterbur (Petasites hybridus) I said.....

"The leaves of this plant can be dried and burnt, then the resulting ash residue used as a salt substitute for stews. I have used Butterbur leaves in the same way and it does work."

What I meant to say was......

The leaves of this plant can be dried and burnt, then the resulting ash residue used as a salt substitute for stews. I have used Coltsfoot leaves in the same way and it does work.

My apologies for any confusion and I have now edited the original post.

I am told that Butterbur is so called because the leaves used to be used to wrap butter in to help keep it cool.

Here is a picture of Butterbur flowers and a very young leaf.

The leaves grow incredibly large (over 12 inches in diameter) and I once used them as a shelter cover. They dried and shriveled the next day, but were good for one night.

No comments: