Thursday 27 November 2008

Roasting crane

I came up with this idea when we had several pots cooking over the fire and insufficient room to spit roast two partridges.

Firstly you require a forked, green branch

Trim the branch to produce the two parts of the crane as below

Do not completely remove side branches as these will go inside the carcass and prevent it spining around on the stick.

Push the straight stick vertically in the ground and tie a piece of cord at the top. Rest the forked end of the other stick horizontally against the upright and tie one end of the cord around it and the other end around the fork as below.

You can even roast two birds at once.

The benefit of this system is that you can adjust cooking by swinging the crane closer to the heat or further away, turning the birds as necessary until the juices run clear.

5 comments:

Iowa Woodsman said...

Nice set up. I am going to give it a try my next outing. As well as the spruce wisk.

Fenlander said...

If you find the fork of the stick slipping up the vertical stick once the meet is on, just cut a small notch in the vertical stick to keep the fork in place.

Anonymous said...

When I first read the title of you post I thought "Hmm, I wonder what species of crane he is roasting?"

Unknown said...

great...how long does it take to cook this way?what about pheasant could this method work the same?

Fenlander said...

It should work for any bird but I suggest you experiment. I can't provide cooking times, but as I said in my post you cook the meat until the juices run clear.